Monday, February 9, 2015

New Review From Technabob

From Technabob

What struck me first about the PicoPro was just how compact it is. It’s virtually the same size as my iPhone 6 Plus, but about 1/2″ thick. And it weighs just a hair more, at just 6.7 ounces. It’s also completely silent while turned on, since it needs no cooling fan. 


In the optimal environment, it can actually project an image up to about 100″ diagonal. I tested its ability to scale up, and the image stayed sharp, but was quite dim. That said, the only wide open wall I had that big wasn’t white, so that’s not a fair test. I’m reasonably certain that a white surface would make all the difference in the world. 

Regardless of its limitations, the PicoPro is a marvel of modern technology. If you had told me 10 years ago that I’d have a projector I could carry in my pocket, and required no external power supply or wires, I would have thought it was pretty far-fetched. 

The reviewer asked a direct question to Celluon about the unusual screen resolution and got this response:


"1920×720 resolution is an attribute of the display engine at the heart of the PicoPro/PicoAir. MicroVision’s PicoP® Display Technology uses a proprietary scanned laser beam methodology that has a fundamental advantage of supporting multiple output resolutions with a single MEMS mirror, as opposed to being limited to fixed resolutions like panel based displays. The number of pixels painted is dynamic, not fixed as in a panel. To achieve 1920×720, the image resolution is enhanced by upscaling the horizontal pixels from 1280 input to 1920 output. To maintain a standard 16:9 aspect ratio the display engine creates non-square pixels. The result is an image that surpasses the resolution and quality a typical 720p display by fitting more pixels into the space."

No comments:

Post a Comment